Sunday, February 04, 2007
he cooks with a passion
He's made a killer bbq salmon with a to die for marinade, to escargot (I know snails aren't seafood) stuffed mushrooms, to a seafood gumbo or prawn sauce. I'm drooling as I list these because I just can't get enough!
Last night, however, he decided he'd like to cook up a deer roast (from his fall hunt) and sided it with roasted baby potatoes and carrots as well as a roasted butternut squash. It was delish!
See, I think the secret to his out of this world dinners are this: He preplans everything .. a day or more in advance, making sure he makes a trip to the grocers for ingredients we don't have, then he uses every available cooking utensil and dish in the kitchen, leaving a fabulous mess for his wife to cleanup. He doesn't waste precious time on cleaning as he goes (like me) because he doesn't have to do the cleanup afterwards. This gives him those precious wasted minutes to focus solely on the food, catching it at it's most tender moment so his family can enjoy it the way it's supposed to be prepared, and not overdone.
You'd think I'd learn from this perfect cook, but alas .. the dutch blood that runs through my veins forces me to be the ever anal self that I am. I canNOT sit down to a meal with counters unwiped, and dishes still sitting out unsoaked.
But I DO enjoy his cooking! Mmmm
Sunday, February 04, 2007
he cooks with a passion
He's made a killer bbq salmon with a to die for marinade, to escargot (I know snails aren't seafood) stuffed mushrooms, to a seafood gumbo or prawn sauce. I'm drooling as I list these because I just can't get enough!
Last night, however, he decided he'd like to cook up a deer roast (from his fall hunt) and sided it with roasted baby potatoes and carrots as well as a roasted butternut squash. It was delish!
See, I think the secret to his out of this world dinners are this: He preplans everything .. a day or more in advance, making sure he makes a trip to the grocers for ingredients we don't have, then he uses every available cooking utensil and dish in the kitchen, leaving a fabulous mess for his wife to cleanup. He doesn't waste precious time on cleaning as he goes (like me) because he doesn't have to do the cleanup afterwards. This gives him those precious wasted minutes to focus solely on the food, catching it at it's most tender moment so his family can enjoy it the way it's supposed to be prepared, and not overdone.
You'd think I'd learn from this perfect cook, but alas .. the dutch blood that runs through my veins forces me to be the ever anal self that I am. I canNOT sit down to a meal with counters unwiped, and dishes still sitting out unsoaked.
But I DO enjoy his cooking! Mmmm
3 comments:
- Cerulean Bill said...
-
Which is why you have to eat in a room where you can't see the kitchen!
I am glad that you can enjoy the seafood that he cooks. Some day I'll like seafood. Best I can do at the moment is not cringe when I see it. I know that that's inexplicable to people who actually LIKE the stuff. -
4:50 PM, February 04, 2007
-
Anonymous said...
-
I LOVE when my hubby cooks - because he always comes up with something that I would have never imagined could be made from the pitiful junk in my fridge. (and it always tastes wonderful)
and I'm with you - there's nothing like a salmon!! -
10:32 AM, February 06, 2007
- Cori said...
-
Wow, your hubby sounds like an awesome cook! Had to laugh at the cleaning theory. Mine doesn't cook at all; when I have to be away for the evening (or heaven forbid a weekend), we have to save our money for the inevitable take out.
-
11:19 AM, February 06, 2007
3 comments:
Which is why you have to eat in a room where you can't see the kitchen!
I am glad that you can enjoy the seafood that he cooks. Some day I'll like seafood. Best I can do at the moment is not cringe when I see it. I know that that's inexplicable to people who actually LIKE the stuff.
I LOVE when my hubby cooks - because he always comes up with something that I would have never imagined could be made from the pitiful junk in my fridge. (and it always tastes wonderful)
and I'm with you - there's nothing like a salmon!!
Wow, your hubby sounds like an awesome cook! Had to laugh at the cleaning theory. Mine doesn't cook at all; when I have to be away for the evening (or heaven forbid a weekend), we have to save our money for the inevitable take out.
Post a Comment