Tuesday, February 06, 2007

it's my fave!

A couple weeks ago was National Literacy Week, in which the girls school made into a very pro-active week long challenge. They had children reading for minutes, expanding their horizons by reading a recipe and bringing in a sample, reading an information book, newspaper article and sharing it with the class, and the list goes on. If you participated, your name would be put in for a draw for what else .. a bag of books! On the Friday, parent's could come in and read with their child and a small group of classmates (ones that didn't have a parent present), and have the opportunity to share their (the parent's) most favourite childhood book.

Because Alissa's class has many non participating parents, I chose to join her them instead of H's 2nd grade class (who can read on their own, so it wasn't hugely important to have an adult available to help read). I chose my most favourite childhood book "The Penguin that Hated the Cold". I remember listening to that story night after night until I was ready to move onto more stimulating chapter books. What I didn't remember, and later found out after sharing this important event with my sisters, is that my sister M, who's 7 years older then me, was the one I begged to read this book. She informed me that I literally begged night after night, and sat so still and listened like everytime was the first time hearing it. That little bit of detail did escape my memory, but now I understand why it was so important for me to find a copy of this book a few years ago. I stumbled upon it at a garage sale a few summers ago, with a gasp and a hug to my chest, that book made it back to my car only costing me a quarter. It's funny to think that my memory is worth only a quarter, but it's priceless when I have the opportunity to read this very special story to my girls, and our talks about what could have happened, or the howcomes and whys a penguin would not like the cold, etc. If you've never read this book, do your children a favour .. find it at the library. They'll love it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of the silliest books are the best.

I remember having a favorite about a bunny that kept asking its mom "am I grown up?" And the mom would say, "not yet"....and go through all the motions of what bunnies did. I'll have to find it.

Cori said...

So cool, I had to laugh at your comment of your memory only costing a quarter :) Will make a great BOM page!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

it's my fave!

A couple weeks ago was National Literacy Week, in which the girls school made into a very pro-active week long challenge. They had children reading for minutes, expanding their horizons by reading a recipe and bringing in a sample, reading an information book, newspaper article and sharing it with the class, and the list goes on. If you participated, your name would be put in for a draw for what else .. a bag of books! On the Friday, parent's could come in and read with their child and a small group of classmates (ones that didn't have a parent present), and have the opportunity to share their (the parent's) most favourite childhood book.

Because Alissa's class has many non participating parents, I chose to join her them instead of H's 2nd grade class (who can read on their own, so it wasn't hugely important to have an adult available to help read). I chose my most favourite childhood book "The Penguin that Hated the Cold". I remember listening to that story night after night until I was ready to move onto more stimulating chapter books. What I didn't remember, and later found out after sharing this important event with my sisters, is that my sister M, who's 7 years older then me, was the one I begged to read this book. She informed me that I literally begged night after night, and sat so still and listened like everytime was the first time hearing it. That little bit of detail did escape my memory, but now I understand why it was so important for me to find a copy of this book a few years ago. I stumbled upon it at a garage sale a few summers ago, with a gasp and a hug to my chest, that book made it back to my car only costing me a quarter. It's funny to think that my memory is worth only a quarter, but it's priceless when I have the opportunity to read this very special story to my girls, and our talks about what could have happened, or the howcomes and whys a penguin would not like the cold, etc. If you've never read this book, do your children a favour .. find it at the library. They'll love it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of the silliest books are the best.

I remember having a favorite about a bunny that kept asking its mom "am I grown up?" And the mom would say, "not yet"....and go through all the motions of what bunnies did. I'll have to find it.

Cori said...

So cool, I had to laugh at your comment of your memory only costing a quarter :) Will make a great BOM page!