Tuesday, February 26, 2008

and so it is ...

On Saturday, Dave started with the changes we're making to the smaller bedroom (aka as the crafting room). This is just the first steps to the renovations we have planned for our home, and I was anxious to get this started after we moved Alissa out of this room, and into the room she now shares with Hailey.
So, Dave and I went and picked out the paint in the shade I wanted, but before we can do walls, the ceilings needed a spiffing up. While I was out photographing my very pregnant sister in law, Dave did the minor repairs to the ceiling, and then started cutting it in (all three rooms and hallway upstairs) and then started to roll the craft room. Much to his dismay, chunks of ceiling texture came off with each roll of the brush. Oh my! What on earth had we gotten into? No wonder there was here and there pieces that had fallen and needed repair. There was no primer under the texture .. just good old drywall paper. What kind of idiots built this place???!!!!
So leaving it for a few days, and getting over the shock, stress, and disappointment .. and armed with a new plan, Dave tackled scraping it all off. The other two bedrooms and hallway should be okay if he sprays the new coat, versus rolling it .. and so hopefully (fingers crossed), the majority of the work will be in this little room.


He's halfway done scraping. It really is fun to see how this stuff just peals off! Okay, fun in a sense that it's not huge work .. not so fun because it's more money out of pocket to fix it.

Life is just grand, being a homeowner! :P
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh Rach! How exciting! Your very own scrap room! Love your new blog header too! :-)

Karen said...

Rach, I hate the cottage cheese texture on the ceiling! If you think you need it for acoustics, hang fabric things on the walls. If you think you need it to hide flaws in the ceiling drywall, I'd just get over it. When mine starts falling off, that's what I'm going to do!

Congrats on getting started on the renovations!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

and so it is ...

On Saturday, Dave started with the changes we're making to the smaller bedroom (aka as the crafting room). This is just the first steps to the renovations we have planned for our home, and I was anxious to get this started after we moved Alissa out of this room, and into the room she now shares with Hailey.
So, Dave and I went and picked out the paint in the shade I wanted, but before we can do walls, the ceilings needed a spiffing up. While I was out photographing my very pregnant sister in law, Dave did the minor repairs to the ceiling, and then started cutting it in (all three rooms and hallway upstairs) and then started to roll the craft room. Much to his dismay, chunks of ceiling texture came off with each roll of the brush. Oh my! What on earth had we gotten into? No wonder there was here and there pieces that had fallen and needed repair. There was no primer under the texture .. just good old drywall paper. What kind of idiots built this place???!!!!
So leaving it for a few days, and getting over the shock, stress, and disappointment .. and armed with a new plan, Dave tackled scraping it all off. The other two bedrooms and hallway should be okay if he sprays the new coat, versus rolling it .. and so hopefully (fingers crossed), the majority of the work will be in this little room.


He's halfway done scraping. It really is fun to see how this stuff just peals off! Okay, fun in a sense that it's not huge work .. not so fun because it's more money out of pocket to fix it.

Life is just grand, being a homeowner! :P
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh Rach! How exciting! Your very own scrap room! Love your new blog header too! :-)

Karen said...

Rach, I hate the cottage cheese texture on the ceiling! If you think you need it for acoustics, hang fabric things on the walls. If you think you need it to hide flaws in the ceiling drywall, I'd just get over it. When mine starts falling off, that's what I'm going to do!

Congrats on getting started on the renovations!