Tuesday, February 05, 2008

proverbs in the key of Alissa

While perusing blogs, as I usually do each and every day, I came across this cool little 'test' for first graders. Because I also have a first grader in the house, I thought I'd put her to the challenge .. and here's what she said. (her answers are in pink)

1. Don't change horses bums.
2. Strike while the horse runs. (had horse on the brain maybe?)
3. It's always darkest before night. (huh?)
4. Never underestimate the power of electricity.
5. You can lead a horse to water but you have to carry your own drink.
6. Don't bite the hand that hits you. (I'm worried!)
7. No news is bad news. (almost)
8. A miss is as good as a man.
9. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. (she knew this one!)
10. If you lie down with dogs, you'll get wet from their pee. (can you say ewww?)
11. Love all, trust dogs. (again .. must have dog on the brain)
12. The pen is mightier than the pencil.
13. An idle mind is a no brain person.
14. Where there's smoke there's fire! (yay .. another one she knew.)
15. Happy the bride who got married.
16. A penny saved is good luck.
17. Two's company, three's four. (again, not sure what that was all about)
18. Don't put off till tomorrow what your Mommy said. (do I have her trained or what?!)
19. Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and giggle. (??)
20. There are none so blind as skunks.
21. Children should be seen and not outside naked. (this made me laugh out loud so hard!)
22. If at first you don't succeed try again. (and miss smartie pants knew this one too, because I use it alot)
23. You get out of something only what you do.
24. When the blind lead the blind you get blind.
25. A bird in the hand can peck you.
26. Better late than slow.

7 comments:

Pam said...

Fun! That is gonna make a great scrapbook page!

Suzanne said...

How fun! I think I'll ask my girls today and see what their answers are. LOL A miss is as good as a man... ROFL

Anonymous said...

haha! I like her twist on the Miss is as good as a man. (funny how it seems yours and mine took miss as a young lady!)

I think I might post everyone's links.

Lisa said...

Her answers are hilarious!
I'm going to have to try this with Hannah, although I don't think she has heard of any of these.

Cori said...

Hee hee hee, great answers! So gotta do this to my little first grader

Anonymous said...

We got so many that are the same, included three's four! Come check out ours.

Jodene said...

That is too funny Rach! No.21 had me laughing too :)
I think I will have to up this to Claudia and see what she comes up with.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

proverbs in the key of Alissa

While perusing blogs, as I usually do each and every day, I came across this cool little 'test' for first graders. Because I also have a first grader in the house, I thought I'd put her to the challenge .. and here's what she said. (her answers are in pink)

1. Don't change horses bums.
2. Strike while the horse runs. (had horse on the brain maybe?)
3. It's always darkest before night. (huh?)
4. Never underestimate the power of electricity.
5. You can lead a horse to water but you have to carry your own drink.
6. Don't bite the hand that hits you. (I'm worried!)
7. No news is bad news. (almost)
8. A miss is as good as a man.
9. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. (she knew this one!)
10. If you lie down with dogs, you'll get wet from their pee. (can you say ewww?)
11. Love all, trust dogs. (again .. must have dog on the brain)
12. The pen is mightier than the pencil.
13. An idle mind is a no brain person.
14. Where there's smoke there's fire! (yay .. another one she knew.)
15. Happy the bride who got married.
16. A penny saved is good luck.
17. Two's company, three's four. (again, not sure what that was all about)
18. Don't put off till tomorrow what your Mommy said. (do I have her trained or what?!)
19. Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and giggle. (??)
20. There are none so blind as skunks.
21. Children should be seen and not outside naked. (this made me laugh out loud so hard!)
22. If at first you don't succeed try again. (and miss smartie pants knew this one too, because I use it alot)
23. You get out of something only what you do.
24. When the blind lead the blind you get blind.
25. A bird in the hand can peck you.
26. Better late than slow.

7 comments:

Pam said...

Fun! That is gonna make a great scrapbook page!

Suzanne said...

How fun! I think I'll ask my girls today and see what their answers are. LOL A miss is as good as a man... ROFL

Anonymous said...

haha! I like her twist on the Miss is as good as a man. (funny how it seems yours and mine took miss as a young lady!)

I think I might post everyone's links.

Lisa said...

Her answers are hilarious!
I'm going to have to try this with Hannah, although I don't think she has heard of any of these.

Cori said...

Hee hee hee, great answers! So gotta do this to my little first grader

Anonymous said...

We got so many that are the same, included three's four! Come check out ours.

Jodene said...

That is too funny Rach! No.21 had me laughing too :)
I think I will have to up this to Claudia and see what she comes up with.